Feb 27, 2011

Southward. On the way.


Gill posted information on Couch Surfing asking if anyone wanted to drive with her to Atlanta. Who is Gill? I have learnt on the way to Atlanta:). 




Actually, my trip started in Aurora where she lives. We started knowing each other from the kitchen. Gill is a vegan. Her husband is a vegan. Snowy is a vegan. Patchouli is a vegan. The last two are her dogs. All snacks we prepared for the trip were vegan. I am NOT a vegan myself, I am NOT even a vegetarian. Still, I eat mostly veggies and fruit so it was not hard to adjust. 

Vegan details and products were not the most unique information I have gathered this night. Gill's garage was full of different food. Bananas, avocados, bread, apples, vegan meat, chips, organic juice... Hmm... A lot... She got everything from a dumpster**. She picks up food every day from different stores in her neighbourhood. Most of the products she brought in her car were not even overdated. "They would not give it to the people as they do not want to pay taxes, but it is still good. Some of this food she was going to bring with her to Atlanta so as to feed homeless. One of her reasons for visiting the city was to help volunteer "Food NOT bombs" and an animal rights event with screening of the "Bold Native" film. The other cause was to visit her father since they had not seen each other for five years. She planned to introduce her "son" to the grandpa. Here comes Ryan. Young age, 21. She calls him "my little brother", but, again, this designation is also misleading. Ryan was the boy she met at a vegan Green Living event. Her plan was to tell dad a story about her "accident" in the college and recent discovery that she has a child. This idea can show more about Gill. Oh, yes, she is crazy. As far as I am concerned, her father would take the joke easy, so it had no sign of malice from her part. Her dad was a guy who was remarried many times and who likes strong drinks. "He was smart in terms of it. He had six wives and just two kids". Gill, now in her forties, does not have children. She seems to be occupied with her charity and vegan events. She also works with disabled people. A good soul. 





On the way to Atlanta we were listening reggae. We switched to country when encroaching Kentucky... The more south we were going the more religious posters we could notice on the back of the highway. "Hell is here. Jesus is real", "Life is short. Eternity isn't", "Jesus died for our sins"... I have learnt that the South is relatively conservative part of America with The Southern Baptist Convention as the second largest Christian body in the U.S., after the Catholic Church. Due to religious aspect in some Georgian cities you cannot buy alcohol on Sunday (a blue law).







Gill, however it could be hard to believe looking at her now, grew up in a Catholic family as well. At least, her mother was a Catholic for sure. She was Polish. Gill, the woman who now is considering moving to a commune, had traditional Polish wedding and ceremony in the church preceding it. Gill in a white dress?! Now it would be hard to imagine looking at her totally hippie style. From her childhood she still remembers few lines of some song: "Tshywy kon,  tchywy kon, malowane sanki, pojedemy, pojedemy do swojej kokanki"*. Her grandma also taught her: "Daj mi buzi", which means "Give me a kiss". Even her husband knows it. The same one whom she married in the early '90s. They switched together to vegan diet about five years ago. They have their own way of living. And they have nothing in common with any religion despite Gill's roots. She does not mention her youth years well. Conservatism which she was trying to be taught by her mom was based on fear of other people and challenges. Relationship between her and her mom was hierarchical. "I am your parent, not your friend", "Don't do it. If you get into trouble, I will be the first person you would ask for help"  - she used to hear. Her sister was rather cold and reserved like their mom. Gill found her friends outside home. She still has her family in her friends. In MANY of them, as she is pretty active when it comes to a social life. And she has Mark. Very stable, rational, calm guy. "My rock" - she calls him. This couple is the most distinct example of complementary relationship I have met so far. 



Thirteen great hours in a car.


Gill dropped me at Highland Avenue when I was going to stay for next days. The name of the opposite street was "Alaska Avenue". This sign looked funny the next day when I went out in the morning. Welcome to Atlanta. Sunny weather, trees, blooming flowers... It was almost like a temperature shock for somebody coming from Chicago. 



* "Grey horse, grey horse, colored slides, we will go, we will go to our lover!". When I translated it to her she said with enthusiasm: "I love Polish people! You love horses! You love animals!"


** On Gill's Facebook profile I found her favourite quotation: "Every Dumpster is like a Christmas package just waiting to be opened … It could be nothing or it could be really good. It's like playing the lottery, except you win more". She added after reading my blog: I AM A PROUD VEGAN FREEGAN!
IT IS MY SOCIAL ACTIVIST PATH!


 And one of her post on Facebook: I Love when people yell "Get a Job" at me as I'm diving...rotflol

No comments:

Post a Comment